Multiple Devices Syncing to Common Network Folder

I’m curious if Syncthing will work in the following setup. I’m primarily using Syncthing to bridge the gap between corporate IT and field staff with laptops that are not connected to the corporate network constantly. The staff need access to a shared repository of files while not relying on network access, but I also need these files to be backed up. Corporate policies are to have everything stored to network locations so they can be backed up, but I can’t rely on staff to manually copy files to the network when they get back into the office so they’re backed up. Hence, automated via syncthing.

I have multiple devices, each with a local copy of a folder and config’d to sync to the others so all devices have a current version of the folder. The intent here is to have an offline copy of the data on every device, but also keep all devices synchronized without have to download from a central server. This is basic config, and works great.

I also have one ‘server’ device in the same cluster, who’s ‘local’ folder is actually a network drive so the data that the other devices create and synchronize gets backed up and centrally stored (which is managed and backed up by corporate IT, but local device storage is not backed up). This also works well.

My question is: what will happen if I add a second ‘server’ device, with it’s local folder pointing to the exact same network location as the first ‘server’ folder? With both severs active and downloading data from the cluster, will they create endless conflicts or data corruption?

I ask because the one server has failed and with it, my link to the main server has failed. I’d like to make this a redundant link back to my central server.

Is there a better way to config this kind of setup?

It will probably cause some unpredictable side effects. If the need for the 2nd server is just to ensure that there is always a latest data on the network, then I’d suggest setting up a 2nd server syncing to a different folder on the same network location to satisfy that at double the space cost, and no risk of breaking things. You can later potentially invest time into setting up deduplication if your storage supports it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.