Look for help with Syncthing deployment plan

I’m looking to deploy Syncthing to about 60 Windows computers as a replacement for redirected folders. The deployment will be done using Puppet. I will have one Syncthing server which will be the destination where all the users sync too. I expect each computer will be creating a new sync relationship for the Desktop and Documents folders of each user on that workstation. I am not planning to figure out how to have each users files sync across each workstation they log into at this time. (they typically don’t switch workstations anyway)

My rough plan is to deploy SyncTrayzor via chocolatey

Create a generic config file for each user on the workstation using a template that will input the correct Desktop and Documents paths and with the ID for the central Syncthing server

Run the generate command

Then manually accept the sync members and folders on the central Syncthing server

Assuming the general structure of this plan will work, what I’m trying to figure out is what my config file needs to look like. Can I just pull the config file from my test machine, and generate will put in a new device ID, or should I be sending the config file without a device ID?

I will also have to be generating a unique folder ID in my template as well, right?

Hmmm, the whole generate thing is a flaw in my plan, since it just creates a new config file (and thus won’t overwrite the old config and keys).

So either I need to figure out generating these first and making them a part of my deployment, or I need to get the device ID from the workstation as a Puppet fact so I can use it in my config template

So it looks like the best thing to do will be not to use a Puppet template, but to use Augeas instead so I can just edit part of the config file.

Also, it looks like if the folder ID is the same as a folder already on the central server, it syncs right up, so maybe I can use that to automatically share the same user files across the workstations

You can pre-generate keys locally, as well as potentially pre-generate configs using -home=tmpdir -generate. Config is just an XML file which you can modify before sending it across, and you can use the local rest api to add the pre-generated nodes locally.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.