Linux share help

I’ve been using syncthing on windows for several years. I’m trying to migrate one of my machines to linux and am having trouble pointing the directory to a smb share. In windows I can add a directory like “\freenas\Carter” but I’ve been unable to figure out how to add it on the linux machine. When I try pasting the path I get from the gui “smb:/freenas.local/Carter” it creates a directory “/home/elavanis/smb:/freenas.local/Carter” I’m unsure how to make it recognize I want to use a off machine network directory.

Thanks for any help.

You need to use some (Linux-) SMB client which connects to the share and mounts it to some path on the local filesystem, where it can be accessed by syncthing.

For example, this can be done with Samba’s smbclient. For a detailed tutorial on how to set this up I recommend that you consult the search engine of your choice, e.g searching for “linux access smb share”. There should be a bunch of tutorials out there. I found this tutorial which looked nice but I haven’t verified it at all and can’t give any guarantees about if it works correctly.

I had tried using smbclient but didn’t mount the directory to a local one, just connected to the remote share. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.