It is safe to use syncthing for sync websites root folder between production server and workstations?

It is safe to use syncthing for sync websites root folder between production server and workstations? Can I lose data on the production server as a result of any failure?

You can always loose data, as one machine accidentally deleting it deletes it everywhere.

Yes I understand this. I’m wondering if I can lose data as a result of incorrect settings or any other problems?

I am sure there are ways to misconfigure it that would lead to the data disappearing on one side. For example you decide to change the location where the folder is located, point it at an empty directory which would make syncthing think you deleted all files etc, telling others to do the same.

I am not sure what sort of affirmation you are looking for, but yes, there are ways to misconfigure it which will lead to data being deleted.

You can make the underlying folder owned by a different user and read only if you want one way sync.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.