Is scanning enough without being able to watch files?

(Robert Fletcher) #1

I’m trying to use a storage VPS service as backup, which limits the max inotify file watches to the default 8192 files. They don’t allow changing it. However, I think I’ve got something over 500k files I want to sync. Will Syncthing work alright without being able to watch files? Looking over the docs, it seems like scanning will be sufficient, if somewhat slow, but I wasn’t entirely sure. I’m fine if it’s somewhat slow to pick up changes, since it’s going to be relatively rare for me to modify files directly on the VPS anyway.

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/syncing.html#scanning

(Jakob Borg) #2

Yep, it’ll be fine without watches.

(Robert Fletcher) #3

Great, thanks!

(Simon) #4

Just for completions sake: Inotify watches are per dir, not file.

(Robert Fletcher) #5

Ah, okay, that makes more sense. Dropbox wanted me to bump the limit to 100k, but it says I’ve got over 500k files, so I was a little confused by that. Still, I’ve got quite a lot of folders, too, being that I sync all of my git repos as well.

(Jakob Borg) #6

Generally speaking, do not do this. Especially not bidirectionally. It doesn’t work.

(Robert Fletcher) #7

Can you tell me more as to why this is problematic? I’ve been doing this in my Dropbox for years and it hasn’t been a problem. I’m generally not doing anything bi-directional. It’s more so that if something happens to my computer, I’ll have an up to date backup and I can quickly get back to a working state.

(Jakob Borg) #8

That’s fine. Bidirectional is not, because git repos have internal structure beyond just being files which Syncthing doesn’t understand or respect.