iOS client: dare to beta test?

Argh, I’ve updated requirements - it should read min iOS 7.0, so it should work fine on iOS 8. The only drawback for you might be that it hasn’t yet been customized for iPad (iPhone was a primary target) so it might look weird.

I want to help you test. I have a iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.3 to my disposal. Where should I drop the line?

vhbit at vhbit dot net

So… it seems there are a couple of strange problems on arm64 and I’d be extremely happy to find a tester with iPhone 5S or higher.

Hi Valerii, nice to see that there are more people working on getting Syncthing working on iOS.

I’d be interested in trying out the beta. What is not entirely clear to me from your post is whether you have made a Syncthing client for the Go version of the Syncthing, or a full Syncthing synchronization in Objective C or Swift. I’d love to hear more about the implementation.

Together with some great people I’ve been working on a Syncthing library for iOS and OSX. It is far from ready, but if you’re interested the source can be found here: https://source.ind.ie/project/pulse-swift/tree/master

I’m a bit confused by terminology here :slight_smile: That’s a completely new implementation of BEP protocol client written in Rust. I believe it works pretty fine with Syncthing over wire and doesn’t embed it in any form.

1 Like

Cool! Sorry for the confusion; I just assumed that you’d use either Objective C or Swift for iOS.

Like @AudriusButkevicius, I’m also very interested to see the source code. If you decide to open source it, please let me know.

I’d love to see this become FOSS in the future. That is one of the major benefits of Syncthing over Bittorrent Sync/Dropbox.

3 Likes

How about a version for older IOS? My use case would be syncing music to my ipod (IOS6).

Sorry for a delay.

According to Mixpanel stats iOS < 7 runs on less than 2% of devices and there is a huge difference in UI approach => there will be no support of iOS 6.

1 Like

This is just wrong. I talk about iPOD and there is a huge number of devices in use stuck with iOS6-:

Device Device Usage 8.X 7.X 6.X 5.X iPod touch 4G 2.5% 0.0% 0.0% 98.9% 0.0% iPod touch 3G 0.5% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 97.7%

from http://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

It actually completely confirms Mixpanel stats, see 1 column - device usage: iPod touch 4G 2.5% 0.0% 0.0% 98.9% 0.0%

It should be read like “iPod Touch 4G is 2.5% of all devices, 98.9% of iPod Touch 4G are stuck on iOS 6, i.e. 2.47% of all devices”, which isn’t pretty impressive number.

1 Like

Again, you miss the point. Many ipods are never online and hence are not visible in the statistics. Do not compare apples and oranges.

I would like to beta test if still available. iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 and iPad mini. I’m currently using btsync 30 day trail :frowning:

I’m excited about helping out with this beta, but my needs on iOS are mostly to do with syncing the photos on my phone to my other devices as a backup. I think I heard in another thread that syncing the camera roll is a planned feature, but is there any particular timeline for that?

1 Like

No timeline yet, but it definitely will happen not earlier than in a month - it’s a side project and my primary goal now is to get a “read-only” version which will get into AppStore. There are a lot of potential problems like approval itself, exporting strong security, etc. New features can be added only after that.

1 Like

Fair enough. I think a read-only version is a good start to get more people using it and interested. Once you get started on the photo syncing though, I’ll be all over testing that. I’m trying to find a replacement for btsync, but most stuff I’ve found doesn’t sync over LAN.

Got my Testflight invite and the new build started working for me this morning. Where do we submit bug reports and what not?

If it is a crash (and there is a lot of them right now on arm64) - just start the app again, it will send backtrace automatically.

All other reports you can send either through PM or by email, don’t hesitate to report any - even if it is a known issue it’ll help to adjust priorities.

New build is working great for my needs.