Install to Windows pcs, several confusing issues

syncthing looks interesting and I hope to use it for file sync on my small work lan. There are a couple of issues that are real show stoppers, out of the box.

[1] After install on a windows 7 pro box, and a virtualbox hosted vm on the same machine, the UI for syncthing opens in IE, the default browser for each instance. However neither machine will present the syncthing ui in firefox using the same url http://127.0.0.1:8384/. They just spin forever.

[2] Syncthing does not create an installation folder and program group etc. It seems that the installer is simply an executable. It almost can’t be running as a service…I think I saw a note about this somewhere and will track it down. But it is confusing for a new user that none of this is mentioned in the installation guide. (edit: I found syncthing windows installer and will experiment with it)

[3] The device key can’t be copied. I select it with the mouse and it gets deselected immediately. Surely one is not expected to type in the device id’s?

Essentially, for a user following the installation guide, it goes off the tracks right away. This must be a common experience for new users but I didn’t see entries like this in the forum, before posting.

Take a look at SyncTrayzor and Syncthing-GTK for the full autostart + installer + no web browser experience…

Thanks - do those two work in conjunction, or are they separate options?

I have installed synctrayzor (only, at this point) and it’s a huge improvement. Thank you!

They’re alternatives: pick one or the other. Two approaches to solving the same problem :smile:

Canton7, I have set up the pcs with synctrazor and mostly good; but I noticed that even though I have set it up to start at startup, the pc shows as disconnected unless I log in. Specifically, a windows 2012 server with one shared folder will appear as disconnected until I remote into it or otherwise log on. Is that expected behavior? Can I set up synctrazor to run like a true service?

Yeah, they both take the approach of starting when a user logs in, and run as that user. This avoids a number of potentially serious security issues.

It is possible to run Syncthing as a true service, see this documentation. Also read the big warning at the beginning of that section!

Somewhere on the forum there are a couple of installers which set up NSSM in that way, e.g. this one.