Install on QNAP: Syncthing should not run as a privileged or system user.

Hi,

I installed current syncthing on QNAP NAS. As far as I remember, there was no option to choose a user account for syncthing during installation or setup. Everything seems to work fine and I have set a password for access to the gui, but I get the warning: “Syncthing should not run as a privileged or system user. Please consider using a normal user account.”

How do I change the account under which syncthing 'service" runs on my QNAP? I would like to restrict syncthing’s access to a normal user account, but don’t know where to change it.

Regards,Michael

Maybe father_mande can answer this question but for me it’s okay running as root only allowing local network access.

I was just looking into this. Apparently on QNAP, you can’t. It’s all run as root.

You can give another user permission to use an application/add it to their desktop, but they can’t “run” it.

Whereas on something like a Synology, apparently they have it setup to allow apps such as Plex to run as their own users.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.