Initial sync with rsync

Syncthing is working fine for me. I am using it for 500K files and 1000GB of data. Initial setup of new syncthing repository is very slow due to the amount of data I need to copy from the old one. I would like to try doing a manual sync first with rsync to speed up the initial sync. What directories shall I sync and what not when trying this? I have a grep of my config file below. Is it ok to fully copy /data/aaa/ddd and /home/syncthing/builds/ ?

<folder id="..." label="docker_registry" path="/data/aaa/ddd" type="receiveonly" rescanIntervalS="1800" fsWatcherEnabled="false" fsWatcherDelayS="10" ignorePerms="false" autoNormalize="true">
<folder id="..." label="helm_registry" path="/data/aaa/ddd" type="receiveonly" rescanIntervalS="1800" fsWatcherEnabled="false" fsWatcherDelayS="10" ignorePerms="false" autoNormalize="true">
<folder id="..." label="yum_repo_release" path="/home/syncthing/builds/" type="receiveonly" rescanIntervalS="1800" fsWatcherEnabled="false" fsWatcherDelayS="10" ignorePerms="false" autoNormalize="true">

I just upgraded from Suncthing 1.10 to latest 1.12.1 and immediately noticed huge slowdown in sync speed. On 1.10 it was running like 2.5MB/s on local wifi to rest nodes on LAN, and now sync pseed between LAN nodes like 1KB/s to 750KB/s… Is it a display issue or real thing I cannot tell, as there is 80GB share with 100k files.

Your issue is different. Have you changed your config? Are you using direct node-to-node sync? I think you need to go over these topics before going further. If you have direct communication between nodes it should help in your case I trust.

As long as the folder structure of each share is reflected exactly from source to destination you should be fine. If files/folders are missing they’ll be pulled from the senders.

It’s possible that you may end up with timestamp, ownership or other metadata differences, depending on filesystems/rsync flags etc., but I think in these cases that the receiving device’s files won’t be replaced, they’ll just have the metadata updated.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Adam!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.