Implementing case insensitivity

That’ll go to the Syncthing Foundation, but I am waiting with claiming until after the RC period - just in case (I am optimistic) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yep and it is as I predicted. A massive PITA to keep CS enabled across all my machines and folders. Literally why I wrote my original comment telling you, it will become an annoyance because it’s a blanket disable instead of something smarter.

Even a gradual rollout would’ve been smarter, keep the configuration value for those that already have an install, create new installs with the new disabled value. Not this PITA that is now.

Can we please get a general setting to avoid this workaround on systems that behave normally? It’s seriously ridiculous right now.

Take a breath.
The case-sensitivity behaviour did not change at all for you if you don’t have any case-insensitive filesystems. On slow filesystems (not slow storage), you may see a performance impact, that can be mitigated with an advanced option (that only needs to be used in case you do have performance problems, which is not the case in local, non-niche filesystems). And configurable folder defaults are in review if that doesn’t satisfy you.

3 Likes

That is a good step forward. It’s unfortunate that folder defaults weren’t shipped alongside the case insensitivity change.