Ignoring Files / Syncing sub-folder of parent (2 syncs)

I was reading the Ignoring Files doc and it said:

If some files should not be synchronized to other nodes, a file called .stignore can be created containing file patterns to ignore.

This sounds like it should exist on the “sharing” or “sending” machine. My setup requires the clients to ignore those files, not the sender. Maybe the .stignore does that already? Like, can I create a .stignore on my Android to ignore all files and folders up to a deep-down sub-folder? Or…

What about setting clients to ignore folders that others are sharing?

Here’s what I have on node we can call SERVER:

/foo (10 files, 1 MB)
/foo/bar (2 files, 12 KB)
/foo/bar/red (2800 files, 27 GB)
/foo/bar/red/green (9 files, 2 GB)
/foo/bar/red/green/yellow (27 files, 800 MB)

I’m treating the server as the source of truth as it is RAID/replicated and backed up. All clients are throw-away/failure prone (have had 2 SSDs go “dark” in the last 6 years on the Desktop - it can’t be deemed reliable).

I want to sync portions of this folder to a number of devices.

Android:
/foo/bar/red/green/yellow 

Tablet
/foo/bar/red/green

Desktops
/* (the entire folder)

Laptops
/* (the entire folder, to go, sync'd on the road)

I can’t sync the entire folder on my Android because it would run out of space with /foo/bar/red/ folder.

I only want that one folder, /foo/bar/red/green/yellow on the Android device, and any files and folders under it.

Alternative question:

Can I have Syncthing syncing a one folder, and then syncing a sub-folder of that folder as two separate syncs?

It does.

Awesome. So i just need to do that on the clients first.

Also, perhaps tweak the docs to say something like this?

If some files should not be synchronized locally or sent to other nodes, a file called .stignore can be created containing file patterns to ignore.

?

Be aware that if you have different ignores on devices they will appear as out of sync. Basically your server will consider your android out of sync since it is missing files.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.