I lost all my data, help!

I didn’t quite understand syncthing and I started messing with it and accidentally deleted everything on my android internal storage, I got into panic and also removed the folder from syncthing in my pc but it was too late. Now I don’t know if it’s possible to recover all the data or not. I don’t remember exactly what I did but it replaced everything from my phone with the 3 files on my PC.

1 Like

Syncthing doesn’t automatically provide another backup or copy, sorry.

Do you know if there’s any other way to recover data if I have root?

As you might imagine you are not the first person with this problem. I don’t have any personal experience (do backups :wink: ), so I’d start here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=data+recovery+android+internal+storage&t=ffab&ia=web

I always make backups but this time I forgot to copy them to my pc and the last one I have is from a month ago so I’ll be losing a lot of stuff. Anyways, after looking for a while I found an app that restored some of the stuff I lost.

1 Like

Hi @Veakkon , which version of the Android app did you use? If it was Syncthing-Fork, I expect you to have a hidden “/storage/emulated/0/.stversions” folder where your stuff that has been deleted is kept for a while.

Not sure, it was the one on f-droid. The only hidden folder on the internal storage is .stfolder and is empty.

Then it seems data to be gone … My last attempt to recover from /storage/emulated/0 wasn’t successful back in 2015.

At least I managed to recover most of the photos and didn’t lose any messages or contacts but all my apps data and my 30gb music library is completely gone :sob:

Dear Developers: My first day here, and I suspect that there are many, many, many android users who would love to utilize SyncThing as a back-up service, however - the directions on setting shared folders is rather obtuse. If you can offer any clarifications, it would be greatly appreciated. I have not actually yet used this, 'cause I am still trying to figure it out… and I do not wish to encounter this same challenge!

Good Luck, Cristian, with restoring your phone!

1 Like

Hi,

Here are some good tutorials how to setup Syncthing right, lean back and enjoy also explanations on precautions what to do best to have a successful sync experience.

1 Like

It would be really, really nice if these Video Links were included on the Syncthing Home Page. Very Informative. Too bad I have to un-install, delete 25Gb of duplicate files, and start over - now that I know what to do…

1 Like

Maybe it’s a little late but very short how my infra is organized:

Desktop/laptops <-> FreeNAS with ZFS automatic snapshots <-> Other NAS with Debian 10 and BTRFS automatic snapshots. The synchronisation is only with syncthing which gives me piece of mind. Both NAS’es are just a hot-backup/duplication of files and are geo-spaced with 100km in between. Both self-hosted low-end hardware (AMD64 intel atom based). I’m just thinking it would be nice to write a blogpost on my site about it also for my own reference.

Good luck for the future, hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.