How to change where ~ points to?

I am new to Syncthing but plan to finally move to it after years with Nextcloud and Seafile.

One problem I encounter is where the ~ folder points to (I am not sure of the name, I saw “root folder” or “main folder” but will use ~ to disambiguate).

I read several posts and discussions about moving the “root/main folder” and the associated risks. The problem is that mu config.xml (SyncTrayzor on Windows 10) does not have any mention of a folder path. I do see entries such as

<Folders>
    <Folder>
      <ID>default</ID>
      <IsWatched>false</IsWatched>
      <NotificationsEnabled>false</NotificationsEnabled>
    </Folder>
    <Folder>
      <ID>3qsvw-t7rqy</ID>
      <IsWatched>false</IsWatched>
      <NotificationsEnabled>false</NotificationsEnabled>
    </Folder>
    (...)

bit there are no paths anywhere (including for ~).

Question 1: what is the proper name for ~?

Question 2: where can I change it?

Question 3: I am in “pre-production” mode (I copied the actual data I need to synchronize, synchronized it betwen a few devices, etc. - but if I loose them I can recover) - does a chnage of ~ impacts existing folders? In other words, if I have defined a folder to synchronize as c:\hello\world when ~ pointed to c:\users\aaa\, will it be impacted in any way? This question is less about the risk for the data and more for the procedure to move.

The ~ is determined by the operating system, not Syncthing. In Windows specifically, it’s the USERPROFILE variable, which means that if your username is, for example, aaa, then ~ will default to C:\Users\aaa, etc.

If you want to actually use ~ in the unexpanded form in your folder paths, and then you move Syncthing to a different user account, then yes, the path will be impacted by the username change.

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks. I was misled by the fact that ~ on my Linux install points to /config but that must simply be the home dir for the user running synching.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.