I’m new here, so, apologies in advance, if my questions may seem redundant;
But to take the redundancy edge off, here is an alteration of it:
What is Syncthing supposed to do and how does it compare to other solutions?
- So, there is cloud storage like iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc and if I’m not wrong, there are also open-source cloud storage server things which one can run and maintain oneself.
- Then there are NAS devices which are like micro-cloud servers made for small usage, either backup or synching
- Github & Gitlab, etc which allows awesome version controlling features but not at all seamless for syncing! Each time requiring one to put in some “commit” description & etc.
- Then there are other OS dependent share options, I’m not entirely sure, I guess, Windows have something in that direction which could work as sync.
So, when it comes to Synching, what is it achieving:
- Is it mimicking a NAS solution?
- Is it mimicking a cloud storage?
- Is the version controlling mimicking Git*?
And more specific questions:
- When Syncting devices via the internet, does the file transfer is done via the router in the room, or does it travel somewhere across the internet, or at least to the nearest ISP location and come back?
- Can Syncthing be used on a PC that has Wifi adapter without accessing other networking devices: files get synced between two devices when they meet each other. [imagine a dual computing machine setup, one mobile and a stationary; each day when the mobile device returns home and is in proximity of the stationary device the sync up. the mobile device can be a laptop or a tablet and the stationary device a desktop or workstation]
- Does Syncthing needs the host and secondary device to be online at the same time and wait for the latency of syncing before one can switch between devices?
- Can one live edit between two files? Imagine a text file open on both machine which is under a synced folder, would changes in the file in one machine show up in the second? [I assume the answer to be “no”, in case Syncthing need to have changes saved before doing its syncing]. How much would be the latency?