Hash files in file versioning folders

I happy with Syncthing as it is a set it and forget it program. I have a question. Is it possible to enable hashing the files in the file versioning folders?

Sometimes I need to delete all files in a sub folder, and shortly after add most of them back in. This makes syncthing transfer all 60 gigs through the internet again. It would save a lot of data transfer if syncthing would hash the files in the versioning folder, and recover the files from there that are identical.

Is this a feature I just need to enable? If not could you consider adding it? Also, do you know of a good program that would let me remove and update the changed files on the original machine instead of deleting and copying most of the folder back in?

I’m running Syncthing v1.0.1, Windows (64 bit) on all machines.

There is no such feature at the moment. However, you can fake it by adding a folder that points to the versioned files. It doesn’t need to be shared with anyone. Syncthing will reuse blocks between folders, so this should accomplish what you want.

2 Likes

See issue #5279
The workaround works well with disadvantage that number of files handled by Syncthing doubles

1 Like

It would double regardless.

I guess double is not a good term as it’s proportional to the number of versions you keep.