GUI for Syncthing

Hi! First of all, thanks for making Syncthing! I have and am currently opting out of commercial solutions for syncing my data, and have tested Syncthing for a day and it looks to work very good to me!

I was wondering, if I would like to make a simple GUI for Syncthing, do I need to speak to a go-language to a go-library, or could I use my preferred environment - Gambas (http://gambas.sf.net) and build a GUI on top of an existing CLI program?

I made a quick and dirty ā€œGUIā€ with a Webkit component that opens ā€˜localhost:8080ā€™ - which kind of works, but It would be nice with tray notifications when files are added or deleted.

Iā€™m wondering about this as well. Iā€™m aware of sync icon thing, but is anyone building actual non-web-based GUI for Syncthing?

I already thought about making one, but I donā€™t want to duplicate anyoneā€™s effort.

Ok, this is my idea of how could non-web GUI for syncthing look like.

Itā€™s hacked together with python, glade and GTK, but if combined with sync icon, it could give experience similar to Dropbox or SyncthingTray on Windows.

I didnā€™t found anything similar, so I plan to connect it to event interface and make it somehow usable, if there will be nothing better to do later :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply!

Looks good! You even made it to WebUpd8 :wink:

Iā€™d rather have tabs, and more desktop-like components instead of replicating the webui (which is deliberately designed as it is).

For example, have a proper menubar or the chrome-like-cogwheel on a corner for settings, and try to use the OSā€™s look & feel, rather than dragging the webuiā€™s one.

Well, that header with button menu is taken directly from Gnome design guidelines, but cogwheel instead of ā€œeditā€ sounds like a good idea. And webui imitating boxes are there mainly because I couldnā€™t find any standard GTK element that would allow me to show status of node/repo in some sane way, so Iā€™m open for suggestions :smiley:

Iā€™d rather use something more generic than something specifically oriented towards gnome. Their guidelines look a lot like gnome apps, but extremely foreign on anything else (I canā€™t say Iā€™ve come across anything with that L&F).

There is this ā€œsimplifiedā€ UI used on Ubuntu, as HeaderBar doesnā€™t work properly there. I could add some switch or setting to enable it on normal distro, but thatā€™s as generic as GTK3 can getā€¦

Having some issues on dark gtk themes:

Screenshot

Already reported on github.

Anything for windows?

syncthing-gtk works on windows.

Can you post the tutorial?cant find any :frowning: thx

download, install, run.

1 Like

lol Iā€™ve found it only now >_> thx anyway