Globbing: syntax error in pattern.

Hi,

I’m getting the following error on startup: globbing: syntax error in pattern, for five files, in a .stversions folder.

Eg: 2016-10-23 10:30:40: globbing: syntax error in pattern for /path/.stversions/directory/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20160924.2001/snippets/c+±mode/operator[]~[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]

Not sure if it’s helpful, but I recently re-installed the OS on the computer where I’m getting this error, then re-installed syncthing and setup the same folders as before.

I don’t need backups of these files, so happy to delete the .stversions folder, if that’s an easy way to resolve this error.

Thank you, David

— Update 20161023 1440 UTC —

Actually, it looks this issue is generating some serious consequences for me. The files at issue are in my emacs directory, and relate to the yasnippet plugin. Worryingly, its seems like my the majority of my data is now missing from the directory – including my emacs config file.

1 Like

This is a known issue: https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/issues/2606

It causes files which should be cleaned out from .stversions to not be cleaned out. It does not cause files to be randomly deleted from other places though.

1 Like

Hi Jakob, thanks for the quick reply.

I’m not sure what is going on. It looks like the files that are missing from the emacs.d directory are in the .stversions folder.

Can I just copy and paste these back into the folder?

Any idea why these files went missing in the first place?

Many thanks again, David

Files are moved to .stversions instead of being deleted, when they have been deleted on another device.

Yes, you can just copy or move them back as you please.

Hi Jakob – mixed success – it looks like my emacs setup is now a mess. Files missing, files not loading correctly . . .

I’ll say it again: Syncthing is not backup software. Stversions is convenient but you should not rely on it for your backups.

No problem – the files are backed up by other means. But still unsure as to what happened this morning – why the files in the primary folder just decided to vanish.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.