Does rescan interval on a receiving-only device affect its speed in pushing updates to other devices?

I have read another question “Rescan Interval on "passive" devices” asking if it’s OK to have a very high rescan interval if the device is a receiving node where changes will never be made. The answer from the devs was that it was OK.

My question is similar but different enough that I don’t know how much of the previous question applies. I have three syncthing nodes. One is an always-on passive (s)erver for syncthing where files are never touched. I’m considering setting the rescan interval to very long (1 day) because of this fact. The other two active ©lient devices frequently change their files. The two © devices have (s) between them and are not connected to each other.

I understand that rescan interval affects how quickly syncthing is able to pick up LOCAL changes (and then pass them to other devices). I don’t understand if the rescan interval will also affect how quickly changes from other devices are passed on. Is the act of rescanning only for local changes?

For example, which will happen?

Scenario A

1. (c1) files are changed
  2. (c1) quickly picks up the changes (high rescan frequency)
  3. (c1) passes these changes on to (s) [which has a very long rescan frequency]
  4. (s) receives the changes and passes them immediately to (c2)
  5. (c2) receives the changes

Scenario B

1. (c1) files are changed
  2. (c1) quickly picks up the changes (high rescan frequency)
  3. (c1) passes these changes on to (s)
  4. (s) receives the changes. but because of the long rescan frequency it sits on these changes until the next rescan (up to one day)
  5. (c2) receives the changes

(Re)Scanning has nothing to do with propagating changes from other devices, for any folder type. Scenario A.

1 Like

thank you for taking the time to clarify.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.