Default folder mode

Hi,

Would it be possible to make this mode configurable:

I’m fairly new to Go so not sure how to go about this or there might be some reason this doesnt happen already.

cheers

What are you trying to accomplish?

i was hoping to not have to create a secondary system to manage folder creation. making this configurable would solve that.

I can probably just fork it and patch it but was trying to avoid that :slight_smile: is there a specific reason its not configurable other than giving users the ability to 777 everything?

1 Like

These only apply for the initial creation, so either you need to pre-create the folders or modify the permissions once after creation.

1 Like

i was hoping to not have to create a secondary system to manage folder creation. making this configurable would solve that.

I can probably just fork it and patch it but was trying to avoid that :slight_smile: is there a specific reason its not configurable other than giving users the ability to 777 everything?

No-one has asked for it to be configurable before, mainly. We default to something that ensures a level of privacy because we have to default to something.

I don’t have any hard data to back it up but gut feeling says that in most cases the folders exist on disk before being added to Syncthing, so this would not be an issue.

I don’t think there is a specific reason. You could probably make a pull request which makes it configurable, but you will still have to configure it on every device, and you still have to accept folders on every device so I don’t think it’s much more work than you already have now?

can it be made configurable with a default of 0700 so nothing changes.

I dont really know Go.

ps: im using the rest api to manage it from a java application which can manage the configuration ( and change this variable whether it be global or folder level )

this is also how im adding folders that the servers dont necesarily know about yet.

If you want this configurable, you’ll have to learn Go make a pull request, as nobody else is interested in this feature so unlikely anyone else will implement it.

ok thanks. i will work on that :slight_smile:

1 Like