Connected but not syncing

But I already looked that folder box element and I know that it is out of sync because one file can not synchronize as it says the ‘operation not permitted’. But I don’t know how to fix it because the 2 devices are linked and separately through file explorer I can access that file. I have restarted everything and yet it wont sync.

EDIT: But I now simply removed the file and re-added it, which seemed to fix the issue.

Operation not permitted means syncthing doesn’t have the necessary filesystem permissions usually.

Ok once again thanks - I think everything is looking good.

I am just syncing a folder that has 188gb of data and it has taken 24 hours (still going) and its only done 36% - is this normal?

Depends on many things, number of files, connection type, disk and cpu speeds etc.

any tips / settings I can do to try and speed things up?

also, i read the documentation about send files/ receive files. just to understand, if the host is only ‘send files’ and local is only ‘receive files’ is this effectively a backup solution (which is what I am trying to achieve)?

I can only suggest settings once you know where your bottleneck is.

It is somewhat a backup solution but it’s not fool proof, as syncthing is not made for backups. If for example your backup machine touches/modifies some super important file, that file will stop syncing from the source until you revert the local changes.

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/faq.html#why-is-the-sync-so-slow

ok understood but my backup solution / sync is on external drives which will be disconnected, so hopefully it wont be modified.

just checked and i am not on a relay. my networks are pretty good.

Then check your disk utilization. Perhaps the location where syncthings database is, is on a spinning disk, or cpu is maxed out while hashing, or you are transfering a lot of small files where each file has an overhead bigger than the time it takes to transfer the file due to fsync.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.