Changing Fs Watcher Delay have no effect

Windows Syncthing 1.17.0, in Advanced setting → DefaultsDefault FolderFs Watcher Delay, the default value is 10. After having a change happened in a folder, about 12s, my phone can sync the change.

I changed the value to 1, and restarted the Syncthing.

But still, after having a change happened in a folder, about 12s, my phone can then sync the change.

Both device connected to the same WIFI, direct tcp connection.

Is that because the Fs Watcher Delay value in the advanced setting ineffective? The 12 seconds delay is a bit longer, I want shrink it to 4s - 5s, what should I do?

I have just tested setting the delay to 1 (which seems to be the smallest accepted value), and it does work fine. This all on Windows though. I would imagine that something may be up with the phone and its filesystem here.

The fact you set this to 1 doesn’t mean stuff will suddenly happen realtime.

The value is mostly useful for delaying detection of deletes so they can be recognised as renames.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Not the phone issue. see the description below.

I did this test:

I paused all the sync device, set the FS Watcher Delay to 1, then created a new file when 14:37:07, and then wait for the auto scan, later, then the Syncthing page updates, it shows the last scan is 14:37:17.

Then I set the FS Watcher Delay to 5, then deleted the file I mentioned, that time is 14:38:00, later, then the Syncthing page updates, it shows the last scan is 14:38:10.

The picture below shows the result:

I also recorded a video of this process:

The point is, whatever I change the FS Watcher Delay, the delay between the auto scan and the last file change (whatever creating, deleting) is always 10s, the config in the advanced setting don’t change the FS Watcher Delay at all.

Damn, I’m so stupid!

I only changed the default Fs Watcher Delay, but I didn’t change the existing folders’ Fs Watcher Delay, they are still 10. That’s the reason of the problem.

My bad. Sorry guys.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.