Can syncthing discovery server be shared for public use?

Hi, I can share syncthing relay for public use. Can I share syncthing discovery too?

Update: in other words: I host a syncthing relay service to Internet and I see Terabytes of data being relayed by my service. Similarly, can my syncthing discovery server be useful for syncthing users to discover their devices?

Define “share” please.

I host a syncthing relay service to Internet and I see Terabytes of data being relayed by my service. Similarly, can my syncthing discovery server be useful for syncthing users to discover their devices?

Cool - thanks for doing that!

For discovery: In theory yes, in practice no: @calmh/the syncthing foundation hosts the discovery server used by default. There are multiple servers sharing the load, and in theory an additional server could be added. However there’s no need, the current servers can cope and adding external ones would be just more work for maintenance (coordination).

2 Likes

okay, thanks for the reply.

There’s also the issue that discovery servers are a point of possible abuse, both in terms of surveillance of users and for things like denial of service. Currently there’s just one party you need to trust as a user, namely “us”, the Foundation. The situation would be more complex if we had more community run servers.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.