building a network

Hi, I’m starting a network between 3 or 4 machines and all of them will contain the files I will be synching (the amount is huge), my question is what is the best practice, to start synching between all of them, or in pairs? Thanks

1 Like

Unless you’ve got a huge number of devices, normally you’d want to connect everything together for best performance. However, there can be exceptions, e.g. if one of those is a mobile device and you want to spare its bandwidth and battery life, then you may prefer to keep it connected to only some of the other devices. The same applies if the device is located on a very slow network, the hardware is weak, etc.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

There is also a section in the FAQ about how you can speed up the initial sync by copying the files by other means:

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/faq.html#can-i-help-initial-sync-by-copying-files-manually

1 Like

Overtime, my syncThing network has grown significantly. As the network grew, the number of devices peered with other devices has become bewildering to manage.

I’m currently reorganizing my sync network using a single RaspPi at each physical location (a parent node.) Each is configured as an untrusted device. One is designated as an Introducer on the other Pis (a root node.) That way, the shares created on the Introducer (root nodes) are “pushed out” to the other Pis (parent nodes).

Clients (PCs, mobile deveces, etc) on the LAN at each physical location are then linked to the RaspPi (parent node) at that location.

I’m hoping this keeps the network managable.

One issue: the Android client does not support untrusted devices. Not exactly sure how I’m going to work around that yet.

A tip: To help organize shares and devices in the UI, consider a naming scheme. The UI displays the items in Alpha order. You could, for example, include a prefix to the anme that is esstentally a category or group so that like items are displayed together. I haven’t decieded the best way to do this yet, but something like: NODE-A-Parent NODE-B-Parent lan-A-client1

What do you mean specifically? The app’s native interface is quite limited in many ways indeed, but if you open the Web GUI (available through the left slide-out menu), you’ve got access to the exact same interface as on any other Syncthing device, including Receive Encrypted folders and untrusted devices.

Well thats good to know! I didn’t see an option un the UI, and when I looked it up I saw this post:

Yeah, that’s not exactly correct, although it’s true that you cannot edit config.xml on Android directly (unless you’ve got root privileges). You can, however, access the GUI remotely if you set the address to 0.0.0.0, which I personally find way more comfortable than administering it on a small touch screen.

1 Like