Assume unchanged on startup

Yes. That. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

… and respecting “0” as sync interval. Yes! :smiley: Please, please! :wink:

This alone wouldn’t be enough though, as file watcher on is own won’t be able to detect changes that happened while Syncthing was turned off, or the folder was paused.

File watcher being on or off as the criterium would be great for sure. I’m definitely looking forward to having this functionality implemented.

This is a big issue for me also - I have multiple old HDDs and even with i12 - it is running for about 40 minutes on 1.2 million files, killing the system and HDD. Why can’t this simple option be added?

I also hope this is a thing as well as I used Syncthing to Sync my Project File which will never changed during startup (At least nothing important will be changed)

It takes a long time to scan since it contains 2,145,582 files and it’s 500G. Can’t really tell how long it takes to scan tho

1 Like

Hello, I am very interested on this feature too. In my case, I have 2 USB disk attached to a RPI4. As you can imagine, patience is needed. It does the job perfectly, but when it comes to check for several TB at startup it gets lot of time reading (specially reading) and checking. So because of this, I need to think twice before restarting the OS. After a restart, the system spend a couple of hours, with 50% of CPU usage (at least) and IO utilisation at 100% because of this, making the system quite unstable. If I had an option to disable this, I will schedule a cron job at 3am every day to do the scanning, that way I still get the changes in a daily basis (that is what I am interested for, in most of my cases) without affecting the system performance during active hours. I see lot of usage for this feature, many people requesting this here is under a similar situation.

How are the USB disks formatted? (e.g., NTFS)

One possible workaround is to schedule the system restarts at 3pm via a cron/at job and configure Syncthing’s full rescan interval to something like 31536000 seconds (1 year) so that you’ll get your daily rescan via the initial startup scan.