Are there plans for a "share" feature in the Android app?

Although there are lots of interesting things one could do with the Syncthing app, I admit that 99% of the time, all I want to do is use it as a private, direct, and robust way to send photos to my friends and family. When I open a photo or video I’ve taken, I would like to tap the “share” button and see Syncthing appear as an option. When I click this share button, I would be asked which repository to use. Instead, I must use the share function of another app (FolderSync in my case) to traverse the file system and copy it to the repository folder. This kind of thing is a big barrier for regular users, and is even an annoyance for me, a very technical user who loves traversing file systems.

Are there plans to include such a share function in the Android app? I think this would go a long way toward the app’s popularity and usefulness, as trivial as it sounds.

It would also be nice if there was a way to notify the user when a new file is added to their repository.

1 Like

What you want is Owncloud and Owncloud App.

This definitely sounds doable (although I’m not sure where the file should be placed, always in the repo root or add a folder chooser?). That said, I currently can’t find any time for coding at all :frowning:

Your second point requires an upstream implementation (@calmh).

Edit: I didn’t understand you at first. Of course you mean in the repo folder. In that case I think a folder selector dialog would be ideal.

It’s too bad you don’t have time lately. I know the feeling. Jobs and family get first priority and you have to sleep some time, right? Perhaps I can try to help implement this feature. I don’t think it would be too difficult since Android intents take some of the work out of it.

I cut a basic implementation of this feature. You can see my pull requests here.